This is a quick, easy way to spruce up the unpopular Brussels sprout, using tasty bacon (or chestnuts) and Stilton cheese. We tried them and can confirm, they are a big improvement!
500g fresh Brussels sprouts
1 medium red onion (thinly sliced)
4 rashers of back bacon (cut into lardons) or 150g (packet of cooked and peeled) whole chestnuts, if wanting the vegetarian option
220g Stilton cheese
Good knob of butter
Salt flakes and ground pepper
Chopped fresh parsley
- Peel and halve the Brussels sprouts
- Plunge the prepared Brussels sprouts into a pan of boiling, salted water and cook for around five minutes.
- Refresh them under cold running water until they are completely cold then drain into a colander.
- (While the sprouts are cooking, finely chop the red onion and the bacon or the chestnuts).
- Melt the knob of butter in a hot wok.
- Add the sliced red onion and fry until soft.
- Add the lardons of bacon, stirring constantly.
- After 2-5mins when the lardons of bacon are golden, add the part-cooked sprouts and cook everything together until the sprouts have a nice brown tinge to them. If using chestnuts, add them now and warm through.
- Season to taste with salt flakes and freshly ground pepper.
- Transfer into your serving dish then crumble the stilton cheese over the top.
- Finish with chopped fresh parsley, serve and enjoy!